Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A bad tournament in between two good cash games

As the title implies, things didn't go my way on Monday, as I walked away with no points. This is unfortunate, as it means that the game is on in terms of the overall points standings. I'm still in first place, but by a two point margin. Marc and Chip are right on my heels, and interestingly enough, there's a 3-way tie for 4th between Chris, Dale, and Lee. I'd prefer not to have to sweat each game as one in which my opponents are even capable of overtaking the lead, but I'll have to take some consolation in the fact that I've been crushing the cash games pretty soundly over at the office.
In fact, when I've had the best hand and the money's gone in, it's actually been holding up. On Sunday, I doubled through Marc in a cash game when I raised the 45 of clubs up front (a hand I almost always just fold) and took a flop heads up against him. The flop came down 2A3, giving me the wheel and therefore the nuts. Sometimes, when I'm out of position against Marc, since he's an aggressive player, I'll let him do the betting all the way down and wait until the river to put in a raise for the rest of my chips. However, given the flop (and the fact that it contained a two-flush), I thought I could (and should) get it in there on the flop.
Plus, I was the preflop raiser, and almost always continuation-bet when heads up. I decided to bet out, hoping that Marc had an ace. I didn't put him on a hand like AK or AQ because he would have raised preflop, so I was hoping to be up against something like a medium ace (A7, A6, etc.), a pair under the aces but above the treys, or a small ace, which would give Marc either two pair or top pair plus an inside wheel draw. The pot was already $3.25, and rather than go small, I decided to bet $3.50 and determine right away whether Marc had a hand.
I could barely contain myself when he announced a raise to $10 straight. Calling would leave me with $28.75 with a pot of $20.25. Rather than just call and allow another spade to roll off, putting my in a tough situation, I decided to go ahead and stick the rest in there, and I got paid off by Marc's ace-deuce.
It's important to note that, while I did get lucky by flopping the nut straight when I had raised with the 45, this pot was most of my profit for the night. The point is, play for the big pots. If I had missed the straight, or not connected solidly on the flop, I would have thrown the hand away and lost only my initial bet. Playing all night and folding in marginal spots is fine, as long as your opponents will pay you off when you hit big. In this game, the entire night's profit usually comes from two or three big pots rather than a slow accumulation of small ones.

No comments: