Saturday, June 28, 2008

big pots

The Friday night game went on for longer than usual last night, from eight or 8:30 until just after five in the morning. It was a game with unusually large swings for me, as I won and lost several large pots.

I actually got stacked for my 1st $50 buy-in in a pot against Marc (of all people. argh!). However, I rebought and began to rework myself toward even. I won a couple of medium to large sized pots from Dale, which was primarily what helped me. At about two in the morning when a big hand played out. We knew it was going to be Lee's last hand because he had said earlier he was done at 2 A.M. He folded, and I looked down on the button at the ten-eight of spades. I elected to raise it up to $2, and Dale was my only caller. The flop came down giving me a gutshot, and I led out when Dale checked it to me. He called, and I filled in when the nine came down on fourth street. Dale led out this time, for a big bet, and I flat-called. When a blank came on the river, he checked, I bet, he raised, and I went all-in, and doubled through him for a huge pot.

Unfortunately, I lost about $100 in a pot against Jesse when I was dealt KK on the button vs. his AA in the small blind, and the flop came three small cards. This is a classic cooler, and I'm not too beat-up about the way I played it . I perhaps could have folded the flop, but it would have been tough. At any rate, I still came out about $100 ahead for the session, and with the possible exception of that pocket kings hand I'm fairly satisfied. I picked up a lot more small pots than I usually do, which is nice, as it helped me to gain chips while we were shorthanded, padding the blow a bit on the end when I doubled Jesse up.

No comments: