Tuesday, June 3, 2008

the worst beat I've taken in a long time

last night's Monday tournament went pretty well for me, as I was able to make back some ground after a few weeks of mediocre showings out there. Though I've been doing well in the cash games, I had lost some ground in the tournament and was behind Chip by eleven points. However, Chip was eliminated with no points last night, and I was able to score 8 points, narrowing his lead to a mere three.

However, a chunk of my profit for taking second place in the tournament was liquidated in the following brutal hand:

ME
99

ANDREW:
Q6

FLOP:
696

TURN:
6

RIVER:
not a 9

Of course, I checked on the flop. I was on the button, and against three opponents. Also, I had the deck crippled with the nines full, and there was a need to let someone hit a flush or some other hand that might be able to pay off some bets on 4th or 5th street. When the 6 hit on fourth street, it made it very mathematically unlikely for an opponent to hold the last 6 in the deck for quads. If they didn't, I still had the immutable nuts in this hand. Unfortunately, when the raising war went down on the turn and the smoke cleared, I got shown the six.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. I lost to 4 aces with a full house last friday night. big pot, too. but i got all my money and then some back later in the night. but it was still hard to get over losing ot four fucking aces. which i have never seen, and probably won't again for a long time. i guess it's better to lose to that then be out-bet by someone with a much crappier hand than a full house and fold, right?

-j

BrixtonGuns said...

Yes. Absolutely. In general, you have to approach poker as a long-run game. All you can do is make the best decision at the time, given the cards that are already out. No one has X-ray vision, and no one knows what cards will fall next. However, the real players know how likely various cards all, and that's all you can base your play on.

The fact is that good players suffer bad beats more than bad players do. This is common sense, when you think about it, because you can't put a bad beat on someone unless they have a better hand than you in the first place, right?