Saturday, June 21, 2008

turning a sixty dollar straight


At this week's Friday night game, I hovered around my initial $40 buy-in (within $10 up or down) for several hours before winning a big pot. I was one off the button and, after two limpers, I decided to enter the pot with the 98 offsuit. Eric, on the button, raised to $1.50, and the blinds folded. The limpers called, and I called. Since there was $5.75 out there and it cost me only a dollar, this was an easy call for me.
The flop came down 6Q7, rainbow. This was just the sort of flop I'd wanted, but there was no reason to bet into the field here. I had plenty of outs, and so when it checked to me, I checked, as well. Eric then decided to bet $2.50. One limper folded, and one called, and I made the call, hoping that if I hit I'd be able to double through Eric, who was playing really aggressively, and has trouble backing away from the big pots with me.
Lo and behold, the ten of diamonds slid off. The first limper checked, and I decided it was time to bet. The pot was about fourteen bucks at this point, and I elected to make a pot-sized bet, mostly because the pot was getting large, and I felt Eric had a strong hand from the way the action came down on the first two rounds.
I bet $12. Eric thought for about 30 seconds, then tossed a $25 bundle of rubber-banded one dollar bills into the pot. Our remaining opponent folded, and it was to me. This was a dream-come-true scenario for me. I had the best possible hand at the time, and my opponent had shown aggression on all three streets, so far, indicating what was probably a big hand (maybe QT? QA? a set?). Not only that, but my bet didn't slow him down. I had bet, and he had raised me back. Still, before I just announced "all in," I wanted to do some calculating. Would I get called for the rest of my chips if I shoved here? was it better to just call and then shove on the river?
well, I had $48.50 in my stack, meaning that if I called, I'd have $35.50 left (or, that would be the amount of my raise). I added up the size of the pot. 75 cents dead money from the blinds. a $1.50 bet and three calls preflop makes $6.75. A $2.50 bet and two calls on the flop makes $14.25. My twelve and Eric's $25 makes $51.25. If I call, the pot's $64.25 and I have $35 left. Can I fold on the river? probably not. Will I get called by a worse hand if I shove now? chances point to yes. I announce "$35.50 more" and put my chips in. Eric made the call, and I said "I have the nuts" as I turned up my nine-eight. Eric doesn't like to give anything away, so since it's a cash game and he's not obliged to show his cards unless he can beat me, he kept his hand concealed. The ace of spades came on the river, and he mucked.

No comments: