Saturday, March 15, 2008

At the office

Yesterday's Friday Night Game at the office was a lot of fun. In all, there were seven of us playing. We didn't get started until a good hour and a half after we normally do, since the office got a new (awesome) poker table with cushioned felt, a padded edge, and a built-in dealer rack/case. It took a while to assemble this and get all the players together, but it made play much nicer.
The play was enjoyable, as well. The players were Eric, Marc, Lee, Dale, Trey, John, and me. I managed my usual guraded style, indeed getting paid off big on my larger hands. In the biggest pot I'd take down, I held the AA against Eric's QT on a harmless-looking ten-high flop, and ended up stacking him. All in all, I ended up about $60.
I'd like to compare the overall Monday vs. Friday crowd's results in this game, as well. Even though poker players tend not to respect other players' play, I feel some affiliation or solidarity with the Monday guys since I've been playing with them for a couple of years now. I wonder if there's an overall group-vs.-group gap in results (I believe there most likely is).
Another interesting factor in the Friday Night Game is that there's not anyone other than me that plays the tight-aggressive style. There's loose-aggressive, loose-passive, and weak-tight.
Flopping a set in that game is SO huge (though I'll take it in any game, of course) that it makes sense to see basically every flop if you have a pocket pair and there is any kind of money behind, because it's more likely you can stack someone if you hit in the Friday Night game than on Monday or during the impromptu cash games during the week. At any rate, this brings my total winnings in the Friday game to something like $225, making it easily the juiciest game I play regularly. Hopefully, the fact that the players invested in the new equipment out there will mean more action in the future - maybe not just on Fridays.

Also, today's the last day of the current Poker After Dark tournament videos. I'll be putting a new tournament's video's up starting tomorrow.

2 comments:

jae southerland said...

hey matt, love the blog. i've won the last few poker games i've played. think i'm developing my own style...possibly getting better overall. but it's hard to tell when you only play with a few people mostly, and you are very familiar with how they tend to play.

i think i know of this "office" you refer to. it's hilarious to hear that you're taking all their money. keep up the good work. hehe...

BrixtonGuns said...

I'm glad you've been winning - keep it up! My advice on playing against people whose styles you aren't yet familiar with is to treat them as if they are a playing straightforwardly and have good sense, until proven otherwise.
Also, always write down hands you're eliminated on and study them, because there's usually a lot to be learned there.