Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Heads up Results

Originally dated January 28, 2008
Current mood: tired Category: Games

A very tough match this evening, which ended as a stalemate. We played two freeze-outs for 10: I lost the first, and won the second. Unfortunately, it only took me around 45 mintues to lose the first one, and a grueling four or so hours to win the second. I did, in all fairness, make some pretty good second-best hands during the first game (trips when my opponent made a straight, etc), which can lead to losing big pots.
The second game was long, drawn out, and went back and forth several times. We began with stacks of 20 and blinds of .10 and .20, but raised them to .20-.40 around 1AM and then .30-.60 around 2:30. At least once in the second game, both my opponent and I were all-in for our last little bit (less than 3.50) and survived. At one point, I was all-in with J-9 against 8-8 and caught a miracle jack on the river. However, when the last hand began, we were fairly even in chips.
I held A-K offsuit in the small blind, and my opponent, Chip, held K-J. With blinds at .30-.60, I made it 1.50 to go. Chip reraised to 5, which I don't mind because I had been raising about 95% of my hands from the button, and king-jack rates to be better than a random hand. I reraised all-in for like 15 more, and Chip called. I hate this call, because once I come back over the top for all of my chips, it's very unlikely that KJ is the best hand - best case scenario I have something like tens and he has two overs - why risk the entire freezeout in that spot? I think my reraise all-in was okay, since I'm only really worried about AA or KK (even against KK I have the ace at least), and my opponent has shown strength, which in my mind perhaps translated into willingness to put the chips in.
I flopped a king, and my hand held up, winning me the second game, earning me my 10 back.

No comments: