Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A new game!

Originally dated February 1, 2008
Current mood: rockin Category: Games

I got introduced to a game by a friend of mine, who wasn't able to play in it tonight, though I knew one of the guys and had met another once. It was a five handed game with a twenty dollar buy-in and .25-.50 blinds. The players in the game are relatively well-funded, and I had the definite impression that it wasn't necessarily a lot of money to any of my opponents, who were calling liberally, seeing almost every flop. I got the idea that if I hadn't been playing, preflop action would've been call-call-call, etc. A lot of the time, the raise was to a buck.
In one hand, I had the QT in the big blind and flopped a ten and two small cards, turned a ten, and was called on every street by a player with A7 (ace high!). It was a very good game by virtue of being full of calling stations. It was worth waiting for solid spots to put in the chips, and this turned out to be a successful strategy.
Partially because he introduced me to the game, and partly because I desperately want to be able to talk poker with someone who approaches it the same way I do, I lent my friend Theory of Poker and told him after he read it I'd buy him into the game.. hopefully it will spark an interest, and I figure that in that game anyone who has read that book will have some kind of edge over most of the field, along with a basis to analyze the game and improve their play.

Currently listening : The Concert By Creedence Clearwater Revival
Release date: 25 October, 1990

No comments: