Thursday, February 14, 2008

Survey/poll, and a five-deuce story

How often do you play poker? The voting thing is on my blog in the top-rightish area, and the question will change every week (because that's how long the software says the poll stays up).
Also, happy Valentine's Day. Since I didn't play any poker yesterday, I'm going to post a hand that was played last October between Chip and Lee (see previous blogs).
The hand happened during last year's Monday Night Game. I had already been eliminated, unfortunately, and it was down to heads-up play between the two of them. Blinds were .50/1.00 and the stacks were large. Chip was on the small blind with about $100 in tournament chips, and raised the bet to $3.50. Lee, in the big blind with about $50, looked down at the five-deuce of hearts, and made the call (I like a fold here, personally, especially since he is out of position, but he's still got enough chips to get away from the hand, so it isn't that big of a stretch I suppose).
The flop was a big one for Lee, as it came 2 of clubs, 4 and 6 of hearts, giving him a pair of deuces along with straight and flush draws. He decided to lead the flop, and bet $4. At this point, Chip raised the minimum, to $8 total. I don't particularly like the raise, since it offers almost 5:1 pot odds, and doesn't punish the draws enough to get them to fold. I think if he's going to raise here, he has to raise it up to at least $20 or 25 total.
Lee made the call, and the turn was the queen of spades. Lee checked it to Chip, who bet $10. Again, I don't like the small (relative to the pot) bet here, as he's laying 4 to 1. Lee makes the call (I prefer an all-in raise or a fold here. He's put in way too much of his stack to play the turn in a way that means he has to hit his draw to win it, and why not apply maximum pressure with all of his outs?), and hits his flush when the 9 of hearts falls on fifth street.
Then things got even weirder: Lee bet $16 (into a $43 pot, leaving himself only $17.50!!), and Chip called. Lee showed his flush, and Chip mucked. What could he have had in that spot I wonder? Tens? That's my best guess anyway. Even so, I would have played it a bit differently if I was either player. Lee went on to continue accumulating chips, and eventually won that night's game. Chip and Lee went on to finish 2nd and 3rd (in that order) in that year's Monday Night overall points.

No comments: